Definition of overall in English:
Taking everything into account: the overall effect is impressive
More example sentences
- The Montreal-based body has overall responsibility for global drug testing.
- The details may be small, but the overall effect is one of everything being exactly where it should be.
- He will also address the general outlook for the overall industry within the country.
Pronunciation: /ˌōvəˈrôl/[sentence adverb] Back to top
In all parts; taken as a whole: overall, 10,000 jobs will go
More example sentences
- The sauce, though, was excellent, and overall the whole dish just about passed muster.
- But overall the car seems quite good and I think we are in good shape again for the race.
- Athletics and Cricket were in the summer, which meant overall we did mainly did four sets of sport.
Pronunciation: /ˈōvəˌrôl/(overalls) Back to top
1North American A garment consisting of trousers with a front flap over the chest held up by straps over the shoulders, made of sturdy material and worn especially as casual or working clothes. Also called bib overalls.
- My green overalls and green shirt with my red jean jacket were my choice for today.
- Dress suitable for agriculture such as overalls, shirts, and boots is popular.
- Its 200 highly trained members dress in white overalls, padded clothing and crash helmets to protect themselves against police batons and shields.
1.1British A loose-fitting garment such as a smock worn typically over ordinary clothes for protection against dirt or heavy wear.
- When he had done, his mug empty, he went to his wardrobe where he pulled out a clean pair of underpants and a blue overall.
- A man wearing an orange overall was sweeping the street while others were running.
- The picture of men paint spraying in their ordinary clothes, rather than wearing protective overalls and without protective face masks, says it all.
- Example sentences
- White overalled technicians walk amongst fully body-suited men in masks, who are handling more dangerous looking equipment and substances.
- In the darkened operations room below decks, grey overalled officers and sailors watched an approaching blip on their radar screens.
- Just inside the gates, an overalled gardener with a gentle face is poking insincerely at the dripping rhododendrons with a pair of secateurs.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.