Definition of overcrowd in English:
1Fill (accommodations or a space) beyond what is usual or comfortable: (as adjective overcrowded) overcrowded dormitories (as noun overcrowding) trying to eliminate overcrowding in the downtown area
More example sentences
- Our cities will become like any other overcrowded city in the world and our Australian way of life will be a distant memory.
- Some urban areas are overcrowded, while other regions are almost uninhabited.
- And the immigration we receive isn't evenly distributed - it goes to our most overcrowded areas.
1.1House (people or animals) in accommodations that are too confined.
- While a few tanks lie empty, the tanks with fresh water shark, silver shark and gold fish are overcrowded.
- It can occur when the animals are overcrowded and when the water is not clean enough.
- Salmon and trout are kept in sea cages which are so overcrowded that many fish become injured as they collide when trying to get exercise.
Definition of overcrowd in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan