Definition of overcrowd in English:
1Fill (accommodations or a space) beyond what is usual or comfortable: (as adjective overcrowded) overcrowded dormitories (as noun overcrowding) trying to eliminate overcrowding in the downtown area
More example sentences
- Our cities will become like any other overcrowded city in the world and our Australian way of life will be a distant memory.
- Some urban areas are overcrowded, while other regions are almost uninhabited.
- And the immigration we receive isn't evenly distributed - it goes to our most overcrowded areas.
1.1House (people or animals) in accommodations that are too confined.
- While a few tanks lie empty, the tanks with fresh water shark, silver shark and gold fish are overcrowded.
- It can occur when the animals are overcrowded and when the water is not clean enough.
- Salmon and trout are kept in sea cages which are so overcrowded that many fish become injured as they collide when trying to get exercise.
Definition of overcrowd in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.