Definition of overgeneralize in English:
Draw a conclusion or make a statement about (something) that is more general than is justified by the available evidence.
- University of Washington psychologist Jonathon Brown found that those lacking self-esteem overgeneralize their failures to conclude that they are just plain less intelligent and less competent than others.
- Has the field of family therapy overgeneralized Bateson's theory by using it to explain all manner of human interactions beyond reciprocal aggression?
- When the emotional stakes are high, people should in principle be especially careful not to overinterpret or overgeneralize their findings, but in practice, the opposite is often true.
- Example sentences
- In spite of all my cryptic musings and gross overgeneralizations, it is comforting to know that I am surrounded by great people who feel compelled to do something about what irks them.
- Lin has defended his film by claiming it counteracts the overgeneralizations and stereotypes typical of depictions of Asian-Americans.
- The overgeneralization doesn't really help to further what I think you really want, which is understanding.
Definition of overgeneralize in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.