Definition of overgeneralize in English:
Draw a conclusion or make a statement about (something) that is more general than is justified by the available evidence.
- University of Washington psychologist Jonathon Brown found that those lacking self-esteem overgeneralize their failures to conclude that they are just plain less intelligent and less competent than others.
- Has the field of family therapy overgeneralized Bateson's theory by using it to explain all manner of human interactions beyond reciprocal aggression?
- When the emotional stakes are high, people should in principle be especially careful not to overinterpret or overgeneralize their findings, but in practice, the opposite is often true.
- Example sentences
- In spite of all my cryptic musings and gross overgeneralizations, it is comforting to know that I am surrounded by great people who feel compelled to do something about what irks them.
- Lin has defended his film by claiming it counteracts the overgeneralizations and stereotypes typical of depictions of Asian-Americans.
- The overgeneralization doesn't really help to further what I think you really want, which is understanding.
Definition of overgeneralize in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan