verb (past overgrew; past participle overgrown)[with object]
- Grow or spread over (something), especially so as to choke or stifle it: the mussels overgrow and smother whatever is underneathMore example sentences
- Tunicates can overgrow sea scallops and mussels, and they may affect other species of clams and worms that live in the seabed below the tunicate colony.
- Some colonies have the ability to grow beyond a small, initial hard substrate, and overgrow a particulate substrate.
- My campagnola tangles with ivy that overgrows the fence.
More definitions of overgrowDefinition of overgrow in:
- The British & World English dictionary