- 1Defeat or overcome with superior strength.More example sentences
- He is hated for being a rich bully who uses his strength and wealth to overpower those who are weaker and poorer than he is.
- They would overpower you with their strength and their will and the sheer pace of their play.
- I struggled against this restriction, but his strength far overpowered mine.
- 1.1Be too intense for; overwhelm: they were overpowered by the fumesMore example sentences
overcome, overwhelm, move, stir, affect, touch, stun, shake, devastate, take aback, leave speechless• informal bowl overoppressive, unbearable, unendurable, intolerable, shatteringmephitic
- I sat there gazing at Robert and the more I did, the more an intense feeling overpowered me.
- His overwhelming need for sleep overpowered any attempt to think at all.
- As he came toward the reactor, his sadness and confusion was overpowered by his fighter pilot instincts.