1Defeat or overcome with superior strength.
- He is hated for being a rich bully who uses his strength and wealth to overpower those who are weaker and poorer than he is.
- They would overpower you with their strength and their will and the sheer pace of their play.
- I struggled against this restriction, but his strength far overpowered mine.
gain control over, overwhelm, prevail over, get the better of, outdo, gain mastery over, overthrow, overturn, subdue, suppress, subjugate, repress, bring someone to their knees, conquer, defeat, triumph over, worst, trounce
informal thrash, lick, best, clobber, wipe the floor with
1.1Be too intense for; overwhelm: they were overpowered by the fumes
More example sentences
- I sat there gazing at Robert and the more I did, the more an intense feeling overpowered me.
- His overwhelming need for sleep overpowered any attempt to think at all.
- As he came toward the reactor, his sadness and confusion was overpowered by his fighter pilot instincts.
overcome, overwhelm, move, stir, affect, touch, stun, shake, devastate, take aback, leave speechless
informal bowl over
overwhelming, oppressive, unbearable, unendurable, intolerable, shattering
stifling, suffocating, strong, pungent, powerful;
nauseating, offensive, acrid, fetid, mephitic
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.