Definition of overpowering in English:
Extremely strong or intense; overwhelming: a feeling of overpowering sadness
More example sentences
- The broth was a little too buttery, with some slightly overpowering raw garlic dominating the flavour.
- Being left to guard such bounty can be an overpowering temptation.
- The stench coming off the ship was quite overpowering.
- Example sentences
- We've used a lot of malt in this brew so it's overpoweringly malty at this stage.
- Television advertising is overpoweringly loud and often trite and tasteless, particularly those awful ads for motorcars.
- Worse, the sweet and sour sauce was overpoweringly sweet.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan