1Print additional matter on (a stamp or other surface already bearing print): menus will be overprinted with company logos
More example sentences
- The sheet had been overprinted with the standard stamp of Scanlon Autos.
- Each page of each calendar was overprinted with the gushing words: ‘It's sunny today in South Africa'.
- Printed documents would be overprinted with an almost invisible pattern of conductive ink that uniquely encodes the x-y location on the document.
2Print too many copies of.
- Inexperience with the book trade resulted in our erring on the side of overprinting our books too heavily throughout 2002, so that our anticipated profit is in fact sitting in our warehouse in the form of books.
- This system worked well until the First World War when many countries overprinted money in relation to their gold reserves in order to meet the extraordinary economic demands at that time.
- And distribution is a problem on the other end, too, with books that are overprinted.
3 Photography Make (a print or other positive) darker than intended.
- There is often a blue cast that overprints the entire photo, which results from blue backscattering from the atmosphere.
- Photographs may not be cropped, manipulated, overprinted, printed in colored ink or altered in any form without permission.
1Words or other matter printed onto something already bearing print.
- Those lovely words against the gray ground and the overprint!
- The winner also gets an extra 10p for each card with a red overprint.
- I have seen three examples of this unusual overprint, none of which is complete.
1.1An overprinted postage stamp.
- 1916-19 War Stamp overprints.
- It is well known to Scout stamp collectors that the G.B. set of three stamps for the Jubilee Jamboree were overprinted for use in the territories of Bahrain, Muscat and Qatar. Less known is the fact that overprints were also prepared and sent to Kuwait.
- Overprints have been used as commemoratives; as a lower-cost alternative to designing and issuing special stamps.
Definition of overprint in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.