Definition of overreact in English:
Respond more emotionally or forcibly than is justified: they are urging people not to overreact to the problem
More example sentences
- While there is no way to fully avoid overreacting, understanding the emotional factor will help keep fear in check.
- Like so many emotions, anger is important to respond to but not overreact to!
- Others find this more difficult - they may become withdrawn emotionally, or completely overreact to events.
react disproportionately, act irrationally, lose one's sense of proportion, blow something up out of all proportion, make a mountain out of a molehill
- Example sentences
- For others, the anxiety has led to extreme overreactions - such as refusing to enter a post office.
- When family members feel neglected, they often will present a scenario that invites your overreaction.
- And I think that my life has been a reaction, and some might very properly say, an overreaction to that repression.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan