Definition of overrefine in English:
Refine excessively, as with subtle distinctions or needless delicacy: the sole French character is frivolous and overrefined
More example sentences
- The writer sometimes tended to over-elaborate and over-refine his subject's language in later versions and revisions.
- After years of polluting, processing and over-refining our food, we are suffering from adverse health problems and, worse still, we are inflicting them on our children.
- Over-refining foods involves the addition of unhealthy ingredients.
- Example sentences
- Shyness, over-refinement, physical fear and revulsion: this, he seems to understand, is the repertoire of an all-round loser, denying him the compensatory feeling of heroic virtue or a conviction that he is fighting to save his soul.
- In the vigorous and philosophical introduction to his book, he remarked severely: ‘a certain over-refinement of the art of cookery is tending to appear among civilised people.’
- Could they have been warnings against over-indulgence and over-refinement that might weaken Manchu culture?
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan