Definition of oversimplify in English:
verb (oversimplifies, oversimplifying, oversimplified)[with object] (often as adjective oversimplified)
Simplify (something) so much that a distorted impression of it is given: a false and oversimplified view of human personality
More example sentences
- But arguing about theories of isolationism versus interventionism is to me a bit too reminiscent of Leftist devotion to oversimplified theories.
- This desire for social engineering shows that the Treasury has a caricatured and oversimplified idea of the world outside, as one would expect from people widely insulated from real life.
- We oversimplified his argument in last week's report and incorrectly suggested he wanted the funding for the recreation centre, and apologise.
- Example sentences
- Unfortunately, the essay is also brimming with oversimplifications, empty vitriol and overstated positions - the very things he criticizes Christian Nation advocates for.
- Those portraits were drastic oversimplifications of complex human beings, and they were formulated by taking a couple of anecdotes of questionable accuracy and then spinning them for additional impact.
- In short, many progressive educational assertions that have attained the status of unquestioned fact by being repeated constantly are huge oversimplifications.
Definition of oversimplify in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia