Definition of overstrike in English:
1The superimposing of one printed character or one coin design on another.
- Its primary purpose is to switch from insert mode to overstrike mode during text editing, and I never use overstrike mode.
- If we use absolute coordinates to place symbols on a map plotted for these scales, we often encounter symbology overstrike or, in layman's terms, an unreadable cartographic mess.
- Over the years, a few coins surfaced where one could easily see the overstrike of the 1/2 Balboa on a Kennedy Half Dollar.
1.1A coin showing one design superimposed on another.
- Overstrike - a coin that instead of being struck on a blank planchlet was accidentally struck on a previously struck coin.
- This unusual coin is an overstrike - a coin of Arcadius made using an existing coin of Theodosius II instead of a fresh, blank flan.
Definition of overstrike in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan