Definition of overstrung in English:
1(Of a piano) with strings in sets crossing each other obliquely.
- In a detailed note he explains that because it is not overstrung, the different registers have their own character.
- An overstrung piano has the bass strings running diagonally across the piano, crossing over the treble strings.
2 dated (Of a person) extremely nervous or tense.
- She's overstrung to-day. If it were you, you'd be in hysterics.
- Her aunt on one side of her, and Mr. Stephens on the other, did all they could to soothe her, and at last the weary, overstrung girl relapsed into something between a sleep and a faint.
Definition of overstrung in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.