Definition of overwrought in English:
1In a state of nervous excitement or anxiety: she was too overwrought to listen to reason
More example sentences
- She had looked forward to his return after a long absence; she had been in a nervous overwrought state after her husband's death and her health was not good.
- Add to these the author's overwrought imagination, which refuses to settle for the number of persons the vehicle can safely carry.
- She dismissed the thought as the result of her overwrought imagination, but it was all she could do not to run the last few steps to her cell.
2(Of a piece of writing or a work of art) too elaborate or complicated in design or construction.
- The award for most overwrought writing about snow goes to…
- Some overwrought writing mars an otherwise sharp and insightful exploration of homophobia in the deep South.
- On the other hand, the straight-ahead rock, soul and Eurodance is the overwrought work of a man who should know better.
late Middle English: archaic past participle of overwork.