noun (plural ova /ˈōvə/)Biology
- A mature female reproductive cell, especially of a human or other animal, that can divide to give rise to an embryo usually only after fertilization by a male cell.More example sentences
- There are a few exceptions to this pattern, most famously in seahorses where females have an ovipositor which places unfertilized ova into the male's pouch for insemination.
- When a human sperm fertilizes a human ovum, a single cell is created with the potential to grow into a human person.
- An ovum (plural ova) is a mature egg released at ovulation.
early 18th century: from Latin, literally 'egg'.
More definitions of ovumDefinition of ovum in:
- The British & World English dictionary