Definition of owlet in English:
1A small owl found chiefly in Asia and Africa.
- Genus Glaucidium and Athene, family Strigidae: several species
- In India, our most familiar owl is the spotted owlet, a regular inhabitant of large trees in gardens and parks and avenues, even in big cities.
- For few seconds I just lost my senses… but was able to make out a spotted owlet sitting.
- Orange headed thrush, Indian Pitta and resident birds such as oriole, spotted owlet and hoopoe can be sighted on this campus.
1.1A young owl of any kind.
- Young owlets venture out of the nest onto nearby branches at about three weeks, and begin taking short flights at about five weeks.
- In a peak year for hares, the hares edged out the voles as a source of meat for both adult owls and their owlets.
- The endearing symbol of the museum is Spooky, patterned after a great horned owl that was donated to the organization as an owlet in 1951 and which lived to the age of 38 years.
2 another term for noctuid.
- Most species are robust moths with long usually brownish wings, which have given them the common name of Owlet Moths. Some owlets have a different appearance, such as the Fan-feet and the Snouts.
- Noctuid, owlet, and cutworm (Noctuidae) moths are also stout-bodied. Their fore wings are narrow, and their hind wings are fan-shaped.
Words that rhyme with owletgauntlet (US gantlet)
Definition of owlet in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan