- A region of marked thinning of the ozone layer in high latitudes, chiefly in winter, attributed to the chemical action of chlorofluorcarbons and other atmospheric pollutants. The resulting increase in ultraviolet light at ground level gives rise to an increased risk of skin cancer.More example sentences
- As you can imagine, scientists are trying to learn the effects of the added ultraviolet radiation that the ozone hole allows to reach the ocean.
- Last winter scientists reported an ozone hole over the Arctic the size of North America.
- Recent scientific findings link global warming to ozone depletion, challenging prevailing assumptions that the ozone hole will begin to recover by the year 2050.
More definitions of ozone holeDefinition of ozone hole in:
- The British & World English dictionary