1An artificial device for stimulating the heart muscle and regulating its contractions.
- The most common forms of heart failure are treated with drugs and electrical devices such as pacemakers and implanted defibrillators, but if symptoms continue to worsen, other therapies are needed.
- For the medical device industry, only ads for risky devices such as pacemakers or artificial hearts must disclose negative side effects.
- Medical devices such as cardiac pacemakers, cochlear implants, and bone growth stimulators are valuable tools in the treatment of patients with multiple medical needs.
1.1The part of the heart muscle (the sinoatrial node) that normally performs this role.
- This node is called the pacemaker of the heart because it sets the rate of the heartbeat and causes the rest of the heart to contract in its rhythm.
- The sinus node is a natural pacemaker in your heart that helps your heart beat steadily.
- Sinus dysrhythmia refers to a malfunction of the sinus node, the heart's natural pacemaker.
1.2The part of an organ or of the body that controls any other rhythmic physiological activity.
- For this reason, the researchers decided to examine the output of the body's internal clock, called the circadian pacemaker.
- Escape rhythms are the result of spontaneous activity from a subsidiary pacemaker, located in the atria, atrioventricular junction, or ventricles.
- In 1998 the journal Science published a report that indicated that light exposure to the back of the knee may reset the human circadian pacemaker.
2 another term for pacesetter.
- That is some record for a horse used primarily in those races as a pacemaker.
- The pair was among seven for the 2,400-meter race, including both their respective pacemakers, Diyapour and High Action.
- He and Chris Chataway were the pacemakers as Bannister became the first man to break the four-minute barrier for the mile.
- Example sentences
- Going into this game two points adrift of the pacemaking Potters, the Saints pulled out all the stops to win in devastating style.
- The Saul side now occupy second spot, one point behind pacemaking Round House with a host of teams lining up behind them.
- At the moment they trail pacemaking Comber Rec by six points, but have two games in hand.
Words that rhyme with pacemakerlacemaker
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of pacemaker in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.