nounComputing & Telecommunications
- A mode of data transmission in which a message is broken into a number of parts that are sent independently, over whatever route is optimum for each packet, and reassembled at the destination. Compare with message switching.More example sentences
- Its network uses packet switching to route calls, meaning voice data from the caller is chopped up into packets, sent, and then reassembled at the recipient's end.
- Parks Associates predicts a boom in cable telephony as packet-switching technologies ‘revolutionize the telecommunication market.’
- You can think of this as the database equivalent of packet switching, in which a telephone line is shared among numerous parties by taking advantage of the fact that no one needs the line 100% of the time.
More definitions of packet switchingDefinition of packet switching in:
- The British & World English dictionary