Words that rhyme with Pahlavianchovy • Muscovy
1An Aramaic-based writing system used in Persia from the 2nd century bc to the advent of Islam in the 7th century ad. It was also used for the recording of ancient Avestan sacred texts.
- During the reign of the Medes, the Iranians adopted the Babylon Cuneiform symbols and later they created the Avesta and Pahlavi scripts using Arami scripts.
- They are normally inscribed in one of three Aramaic dialects - Jewish-Aramaic, Syriac, and Mandaic - though some bowls are known which are inscribed in Persian (Pehlevi).
- Pahlavi evolved from the Aramaic script, and so it retained the right-to-left writing direction.
1.1The form of the Middle Persian language written in this script, used in the Sassanian empire.
- The Sasanian or Southwest Pahlavi was the official language of the Sasanian dynasty, which ruled from 226 A.D. until the Mohammedan conquest in 652.
- A physician named Burzoe translated it into Pehlevi in 6th Century A.D.
From Persian pahlawī, from pahlav, from parthava 'Parthia'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan