- 1In a painful manner or to a painful degree: she coughed painfullyMore example sentences
- The demon turned to look at Ryuko, dropping Jade on the spot and leaving her to rub her neck painfully.
- The man let Madeleine go and she fell to the ground, clutching her neck painfully.
- She could feel the burning heat creeping up her neck and building up on her cheeks painfully.
- 1.1 [as submodifier] (With reference to something bad) exceedingly; acutely: progress was painfully slowMore example sentences
- We are also acutely aware that completion of these and other outstanding items is painfully slow.
- It was a classic moment of inclusion which I felt acutely and painfully outside of.
- Friends allege he is painfully shy and a borderline social inadequate.