1A migratory butterfly with predominantly orange-brown wings and darker markings.
- Genus Cynthia, subfamily Nymphalinae, family Nymphalidae: the widely distributed C. cardui, with black and white markings, and the American painted lady (C. virginiensis), with markings resembling eyes on the undersides of the wings
More example sentences
- All the way we were accompanied by electric blue and emerald green damsel flies and along the banks we spotted red admirals, painted ladies, peacocks, and mere common butterflies.
- Alfalfa butterflies, painted ladies, woolly bears and various other species have been abundant all summer.
- She was lying in the dust beneath a white buddleia, staring straight ahead, sniffing at red admirals and painted ladies as they fluttered past.
Definition of painted lady in:
- The British & World English dictionary