Definition of painted snipe in English:
A small long-billed wading bird that has brown plumage with colorful markings.
- Family Rostratulidae: two species, in particular Rostratula benghalensis of the Old World
- You can admire the fine pencilling of plumage, the perfection of colour, design and finish: the plumage of the painted snipe, for example was like finely worked bronze.
- A female Marsh harrier was chasing a male painted snipe in flight.
- One species - the greater painted snipe - appears to be the exception proving his rule: only the females are territorial and only they have elongated tracheas.
Definition of painted snipe in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.