Definition of painted snipe in English:
A small long-billed wading bird that has brown plumage with colorful markings.
- Family Rostratulidae: two species, in particular Rostratula benghalensis of the Old World
- You can admire the fine pencilling of plumage, the perfection of colour, design and finish: the plumage of the painted snipe, for example was like finely worked bronze.
- A female Marsh harrier was chasing a male painted snipe in flight.
- One species - the greater painted snipe - appears to be the exception proving his rule: only the females are territorial and only they have elongated tracheas.
Definition of painted snipe in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan