- A small American freshwater turtle with a smooth shell and colorful patterns of red, yellow, and black that appear along the border of the carapace and (in certain subspecies) on the plastron.
More example sentences
- Chrysemys picta, family Emydidae
- The marsh supports American toads, midland painted turtles, Blanding's turtles, snapping turtles, and Lake Erie water snakes.
- In freshwater turtles also, multiple paternity has been found in every species examined, including wood turtles, snapping turtles, giant Amazon sideneck turtles, and painted turtles.
- As part of a comprehensive study of the effects of landscape change on the demography of painted turtles, we examined terrestrial habitat use by female painted turtles during the nesting season.