Definition of pair-bond in English:
(Of an animal or person) form a close relationship through courtship and sexual activity with one other animal or person.
- Birds are much more likely than other animals to pair-bond.
- For some bird species pair-bonding lasts a lifetime.
- They display classic pair-bonding behavior - entwining of necks, mutual preening, flipper flapping, and the rest.
noun(pair bond) Back to top
A relationship so formed.
- In this species, long-tailed males are preferred by females both to form a pair bond and to engage in extrapair copulations.
- Pairs of breeding forest-falcons sing duets before sunrise, a behavior that presumably functions to advertise their occupation of a territory, and perhaps to strengthen the pair bond.
- This species is interesting because they are socially monogamous - that is, an adult male and female form a lifelong pair bond.
Definition of pair-bond in:
- British & World English dictionary