Entry from British & World English dictionary
noun (plural same or Palaungs)
1A member of an indigenous people of the northern Shan states of Burma (Myanmar).
- The Allies supported Burmese guerrillas (largely composed of Kachins, Karens, Shans, Chins, Lushais, and Palaungs), who were able to wreak havoc behind Japanese lines.
- Many Palaung traditionally lived in multiple-family houses.
- There are also significant numbers of Chin, Kachin, Kayah, Pao, Palaung, Lahu, Wa, and Rohingya.
Relating to the Palaung or their language.
- The Khasis have a unique linguistic family which is strictly connected with the Palaung Wa dialects spoken by the tribes.
- The organization increases international and community knowledge of the Palaung people, their history and cultures.
The name in Palaung.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.