The branch of geophysics concerned with the magnetism in rocks that was induced by the earth’s magnetic field at the time of their formation.
More example sentences
- In an attempt to resolve this conundrum, we have carried out multidisciplinary research involving field studies, radiometric dating, geochemistry, palaeontology and palaeomagnetism.
- Conglomerate tests are applied to mechanically disaggregated clasts of a formation whose palaeomagnetism is under investigation.
- From palaeomagnetism we can determine palaeolatitude and the rotation of a terrane through time, but the palaeomagnetic data give no insight into palaeolongitude.
- More example sentences
- This project will gather geochronological, paleomagnetic and geochemical data required to test the hypothesis that the Umkondo and Laurentian provinces are expressions of a single large-scale magmatic event.
- The paradigm of plate tectonics was finally accepted by the majority of the geoscience community and the use of palaeomagnetic data to interpret continental drift began in earnest.
- The Late Palaeozoic palaeomagnetic database for Siberia is poor apart from Late Permian times.
Definition of paleomagnetism in:
- The British & World English dictionary