1Relating to or denoting a phytogeographical kingdom comprising Africa, tropical Asia, New Guinea, and many Pacific islands (excluding Australia and New Zealand).
- This five-year project, which started in mid-2003, is investigating the changes that took place in Palaeotropical terrestrial habitats towards the end of the Moscovian Age.
- The tropical rainforests of Queensland have species with mainly Palaeotropical affinities.
1.1 Zoology Relating to or denoting a zoogeographical region comprising the tropical parts of the Old World.
- Although less intensively studied than Nearctic species, numerous Palearctic and Paleotropical species also utter flight calls.
- For a distribution to be Palaeotropical a taxon must occur in tropical regions on both continents in the Old World, i.e. in Africa and Asia.
- Fifteen species of neotropical and three species of Paleotropical bats are known either to roost. in or to make tents in over 80 species of vascular plants.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of Paleotropical in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.