Biology The exact reproduction of ancestral characteristics in ontogenesis.
More example sentences
- In a process the philosopher Ernst Cassirer, in his Essay on Man, called palingenesis, the past is recreated as a living organism in which every separate element is connected.
- Palingenesis has been used for the exact reproduction of ancestral features by inheritance.
- There was no obvious palingenesis bone shown in. the X-ray images.
early 19th century: from Greek palin 'again' + genesis 'birth'.
- More example sentences
- Agreeing on the fact that ‘change could not come about by waiting for economic laws to ‘bring about palingenetic events’ ‘, Gramsci strongly advocated a voluntarist approach to politics.’
- Mazzini thought Italy's unity could be fostered only through ‘a collective palingenetic experience,’ by undergoing a process of ‘struggle, sacrifice, and martyrdom’ comparable to a religious transformation.
- Like other palingenetic movements, Strapaese did not condemn modernism and modernity outright but, as Braun argues, wished to reconcile aspects of modern technology and avant-gardism with adherence to tradition.
Definition of palingenesis in:
- The British & World English dictionary