- The chemical element of atomic number 46, a rare silvery-white metal resembling platinum. (Symbol: Pd)More example sentences
- To this group belong the important steel alloying elements nickel and manganese, as well as cobalt and the inert metals ruthenium, rhodium, palladium, osmium, iridium and platinum.
- These metals include platinum, palladium, and rhodium.
- You can, with Kallitype, start with a noble metal, silver, which can be toned with the more noble metals gold, palladium and platinum, and through double or triple toning produce prints with split tones.
early 19th century: modern Latin, from Pallas, the name given to an asteroid discovered (1802) just before the element.
noun (plural palladia /-dēə/)• archaic
- A safeguard or source of protection.More example sentences
- The philosophy of Descartes established this principle, which is the palladium of science; and thus the third preliminary condition was fulfilled.
- The icon of the Virgin of Vladimir acts in a similar way as a palladium of the Russian Church and state.
- Vixum is best remembered for installing the Phra Bang as the palladium (protector) of the Lan xang kings.
late Middle English (in the Greek sense): via Latin from Greek palladion, denoting an image of the goddess Pallas (Athena), on which the safety of Troy was believed to depend.