- To this group belong the important steel alloying elements nickel and manganese, as well as cobalt and the inert metals ruthenium, rhodium, palladium, osmium, iridium and platinum.
- These metals include platinum, palladium, and rhodium.
- You can, with Kallitype, start with a noble metal, silver, which can be toned with the more noble metals gold, palladium and platinum, and through double or triple toning produce prints with split tones.
Early 19th century: modern Latin, from Pallas, the name given to an asteroid discovered (1802) just before the element.
Words that rhyme with palladiumradium, stadium, vanadium
noun (plural palladia-dēə)archaic
- The philosophy of Descartes established this principle, which is the palladium of science; and thus the third preliminary condition was fulfilled.
- The icon of the Virgin of Vladimir acts in a similar way as a palladium of the Russian Church and state.
- Vixum is best remembered for installing the Phra Bang as the palladium (protector) of the Lan xang kings.
Late Middle English (in the Greek sense): via Latin from Greek palladion, denoting an image of the goddess Pallas (Athena), on which the safety of Troy was believed to depend.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.