- 1A straw mattress.More example sentences
- I had all the beds, all the air mattresses, couches and pallets.
- The bed had a thick straw pallet for mattress, and the sheets were threadbare and grubby, but they had slept on worse.
- Sleeping pallets filled with cheap straw - uncomfortable to sleep on, but the boys were usually tired enough not to care - were scattered about her, each with a figure sprawled out on top.
- 1.1A crude or makeshift bed.More example sentences
- Inside, there were half a dozen crude pallets arranged about the remains of a small fire.
- Drowsing on the makeshift pallet, he learns his first lesson of what it means to have money: the rich often endure boredom.
- We were on a pallet with a mattress of straw, with a coarse but warm blanket over us.
Middle English: from Anglo-Norman French paillete, from paille 'straw', from Latin palea.
- 1A portable platform on which goods can be moved, stacked, and stored, especially with the aid of a forklift.More example sentences
- Vegetation occupied by snails in the zone to be inundated will be removed by hand, stacked on pallets and moved above the flood.
- When we arrived a number of pallets had been stacked up against the outside the building and set alight.
- After an aluminum pallet holds 12 stacked crates, the computer opens a gate allowing the pallet to move forward for further loading.
- 2A flat wooden blade with a handle, used to shape clay or plaster.More example sentences
- Use an artist's pallet knife or similar tool to apply yellow wood glue between the veneer and the substrate.
- Impasto thickness can be created and can be enhanced with the use of a pallet knife.
- 3An artist’s palette.More example sentences
- Some of the tools and equipment used by the artists, for example lamps, mixing pallets, mortars and pestles, and engraving tools have been found in the caves.
- In light of the BBC cutting back and mutually slicing ties with Harrison, they've effectively left an artist without his pallet, a teacher without his blackboard.
- On the floor are a turkey in the process of being stuffed, the jaw and massive bone of a mastodon, and an artist's pallet, all carefully placed icons representing the museum.
- 4A projection on a machine part, serving to change the mode of motion of a wheel.More example sentences
- This system combines a pneumatically actuated chuck with a pallet to hold the workpiece.
- The Barker lever was a small bellows operated by a second pallet valve connected to the key.
- The scanning is performed on a horizontal machining center with pallet changer.
- 4.1(In a clock or watch) a projection transmitting motion from an escapement to a pendulum or balance wheel.More example sentences
- Where there is a separate carrier for the pallets, as in the lever escapement, this can be considered as part of the controller.
- The pallet lever, timed by the balance wheel, alternately stops and releases the escape wheel and is thus responsible for actually carrying out the timing.
- The diminutive of the pale, a narrow vertical strip, usually borne in groups of two or three.More example sentences
- The Arms are blazoned Gules on each of three Pallets Or a Pallet Sable thereon a Leek Or.
- Some describe the Keith arms as "argent, on a chief or, three pallets gules" (silver shield with three, vertical red stripes on gold in the top 1/3rd of the shield).
late 15th century: diminutive of the noun pale2.