- An ornament of radiating petals that resemble the leaflets of a palm.More example sentences
- Gustavian looking glasses were symmetrical, with decoration such as beading, rose swags, laurel leaf borders, palmettes, sheaves, and rope-tied crests.
- Glazed white acanthus leaves and palmettes decorate the base of the body of the vase.
- A late, Imperial, date might be supported by three antefixes with palmettes that were found in the water reservoir.
mid 19th century: from French, literally 'small palm', diminutive of palme.
More definitions of palmetteDefinition of palmette in:
- The British & World English dictionary