Definition of palmetto in English:
noun (plural palmettos)
A fan palm, especially one of a number occurring from the southern US to northern South America.
- Sabal and other genera, family Palmae: several species, in particular the cabbage palmetto (S. palmetto), which is the state tree of Florida (where it is better known as the sabal palm) and South Carolina
- Winding roads are bordered by palmettos, crape myrtle and live oaks draped with Spanish moss.
- The young marsh rabbit has made it to the far bank, a knee-high jungle of ragged palmettos like miniature palm trees.
- We were allowed to linger over coffee and admire the cypress trees and palmettos in the Sipsey swamp area between Tuscaloosa and Meridian.
Mid 16th century: from Spanish palmito, literally 'small palm', diminutive of palma, assimilated to Italian words ending in -etto.
Definition of palmetto in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.