noun (plural palmettos)
A fan palm, especially one of a number occurring from the southern US to northern South America.
- Sabal and other genera, family Palmae: several species, in particular the cabbage palmetto (S. palmetto), which is the state tree of Florida (where it is better known as the sabal palm) and South Carolina
More example sentences
- Winding roads are bordered by palmettos, crape myrtle and live oaks draped with Spanish moss.
- The young marsh rabbit has made it to the far bank, a knee-high jungle of ragged palmettos like miniature palm trees.
- We were allowed to linger over coffee and admire the cypress trees and palmettos in the Sipsey swamp area between Tuscaloosa and Meridian.
mid 16th century: from Spanish palmito, literally 'small palm', diminutive of palma, assimilated to Italian words ending in -etto.
Definition of palmetto in:
- The British & World English dictionary