Definition of palmitic acid in English:
A solid saturated fatty acid obtained from palm oil and other vegetable and animal fats.
- Examples of saturated and unsaturated fatty acids are palmitic acid and linoleic acid, with 16 carbons and no double bonds, and 18 carbons with three double bonds, respectively.
- A common example is beeswax that is composed primarily of myricyl palmitate, formed by the reaction of palmitic acid with an alcohol.
- When this esterifies with only a vegetable fat-based palmitic acid, it is considered a halal vitamin A for milk fortification.
- Example sentences
- They are made of calcium bilirubinate and calcium palmitate.
- Radioactively labeled choline and palmitate have been used to investigate PC metabolism in animal models.
- Vitamin C has gained a great reputation as an anti-oxidant, but be sure to look for the stable vitamin C, ascorbyl palmitate.
Definition of palmitic acid in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.