Definition of palolo worm in English:
A marine bristle worm that swarms in response to changes in light intensity, particularly that of the moon. The worm’s posterior segments detach themselves and swim to the surface where the reproductive cells are released into the sea.
- Several species in Eunicidae and other families, in particular the Samoan palolo worm (Palola (or Eunice) viridis), which occurs on South Pacific reefs
- The palolo worm makes its home, according to Anja Schulze of the Smithsonian Marine Station, in the shallow reef, where it uses its sizeable jaws to dig itself a burrow in the limestone substrate.
- All around them palolo worms are thrashing in vast numbers.
- Palolo worms from the South Pacific are relatively well studied.
Definition of palolo worm in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan