Definition of paloverde in English:
A thorny, yellow-flowered tree or shrub that grows along watercourses in the warm desert areas of America.
- Genus Cercidium, family Leguminosae
- Sited on the grounds of the Mayo Clinic, amid cacti, paloverdes and desert flowers, as well as on the terraces and paths where patients stroll, were sculptures by 19 well-known artists.
- Among the other new small champions you may recognize are the Texas redbud, yellow paloverde, mountain-laurel, and big sagebrush.
- Presumably in response to this variation among host species in selection on egg size, females have evolved egg size plasticity in which they lay larger eggs on paloverde than on catclaw acacia.
Early 19th century: from Latin American Spanish, literally 'green tree'.
Definition of paloverde in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.