Definition of pancreas in English:
noun (plural pancreases)
A large gland behind the stomach that secretes digestive enzymes into the duodenum. Embedded in the pancreas are the islets of Langerhans, which secrete into the blood the hormones insulin and glucagon.
- Crucial to this is the hormone insulin, which is secreted into the blood by the pancreas - a gland found behind the stomach.
- Insulin is the hormone secreted by your pancreas that regulates your level of blood sugar.
- The pancreas secretes the hormone insulin which is the key to allowing glucose to enter the cells.
- Example sentences
- The portion of pancreas had a dilated pancreatic duct but no discrete masses.
- This is followed by an anastomosis of the jejunum to the pancreatic duct, common bile duct, and stomach.
- The antral mucosa showed pancreatic acinar cell metaplasia and intestinal metaplasia.
Definition of pancreas in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan