(also pandan /ˈpandən/)
- 1A tropical tree or shrub that has a twisted and branched stem, stilt roots, spiral tufts of long, narrow, typically spiny leaves, and fibrous edible fruit. Also called screw pine.
More example sentences
- Genus Pandanus, family Pandanaceae
- In addition to twigs, the crows manufacture tools from long and barbed leaves of the pandanus tree.
- This rampart is now colonized by coconut palms, pandanus, and breadfruit trees, and I like to sit here in the late after-noons and watch the sea rolling ashore.
- An even smaller tropical island than Sipadan, Lankayan is covered with lush vegetation, including casuarina trees and the ubiquitous pandan screw pines.
- 1.1Fiber from the leaves of the pandanus, or material woven from this fiber.More example sentences
- The entries reveal the use of a rich variety of media and materials including photomontage, ceramics, recycled wire, dugong bone, bronze, feathers, pandanus fibre, and works on paper, bark and canvas.
- A few houses of local materials, with pandanus thatch sides and thatched roofs, still exist.
- The whole village built of pandanus and grass looked as if it were about to founder in the sea of mud.
modern Latin, from Malay pandan.
More definitions of pandanusDefinition of pandanus in:
- The British & World English dictionary