Definition of panmixia in English:
Random mating within a breeding population.
- Microsatellite markers revealed no particular departure from panmixia within each local population and a genetic structure consistent with isolation by distance.
- If the size of the effective breeding population is still greater, approaching panmixia in varying degrees, evolution will be slowed down considerably.
- With an extinction-colonization model, the probability of fixation can be much reduced relative to panmixia.
- Example sentences
- The ocean has been thought to have few boundaries, and marine species have been often perceived to be panmictic.
- Contrary to our expectation, populations within subspecies were essentially panmictic, despite behaviors, such as semicolonial nesting and philopatry, that might be expected to limit dispersal.
- Another long-standing question stemming from the eels' catadromous life history is whether conspecific populations from different locales within a continent have come from a panmictic spawn.
Definition of panmixia in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India