Definition of panther in English:
1A leopard, especially a black one.
- It covered four million acres with some of the purest water in the world and was home to more than 40 indigenous plants and 300 species of birds, plus black bears, panthers, and gray foxes.
- Two-thirds of the sightings involved large black animals resembling melanistic leopards, also known as panthers.
- The Himalayan region is home to elephant, deer, panther, wild ass, buffalo and snow leopards.
1.1North American A cougar.
- The loss of Cypress, a female Florida panther, made news because of the rarity of the species.
- I have a treasure chest of fond memories burned into my brain, like the time in 1982 when I spotted a female Florida panther walking down a levy in the Big Cypress Swamp of south Florida.
- Another animal backed into a corner of its ancestral range and feeling the pressures of climate change is the endangered Florida panther.
Definition of panther in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan