- Worthy of being or eligible to be pope.More example sentences
- To speak of a cardinal as papabile is to say that he is thought to be a likely candidate for pope.
- The two men considered most papabile (capable of becoming pope) among the DUP cardinals when the next conclave eventually comes are deputy leader Peter Robinson and the party's newest star, Nigel Dodds.
- Four now run curial offices themselves… All four are today mentioned as papabile, or potential candidates for the papacy.
Italian, from Latin papa 'pope'.
More definitions of papabileDefinition of papabile in:
- The British & World English dictionary