Definition of paper tape in English:
1Paper in the form of a long narrow strip.
- Dad would carefully cut the ends and then everyone would package the cigarettes in bundles of ten, secured with paper tape: 10 cigarettes, 30 yen.
- Use paper tape or a nonadherent dressing on frail skin and gently remove it.
- The surgeon will apply some sterile paper tape to support the eyelids after surgery, which is normally removed after three to five days.
1.1Paper in the form of a long narrow strip with holes punched in it, used in older computer systems for conveying data or instructions.
- A 35-year veteran of General Mills, he started as a computer operator working with punch cards and paper tape.
- With glowing valves and copious amounts of paper tape the Met Office finally embraced the computer age in 1959 and purchased a Ferranti Mercury, which was nicknamed Meteor.
- About the same time I was told that the paper tape as a means of computer input was dead.
Definition of paper tape in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan