Definition of papyrus in English:
noun (plural papyri /-ˈpīrī/ or papyruses)
1A material prepared in ancient Egypt from the pithy stem of a water plant, used in sheets throughout the ancient Mediterranean world for writing or painting on and also for making rope, sandals, and boats.
- The ramps were built out of clay, wood and papyrus.
- The ancient Egyptians either engraved the hieroglyphs in the stonework of their temples or painted them on the walls of the burial chamber or inscribed them with a reed pen on rolls of papyrus, the antecedent of our paper.
- The documents of the early medieval period in Italy take the following shape: no more than about fifty documents survive from the sixth and seventh centuries, nearly all on papyrus, and nearly all from Ravenna.
1.1A document written on papyrus.
- The Anonymus Londinensis papyrus points to an ancient confusion about the historical Hippocrates' pathological doctrines.
- The dates are calculated from ancient lists, especially the Turin royal papyrus, and from various other sources.
- A papyrus from Ancient Egypt cites juniper berries as an ingredient for a medicine to treat tape worms and juniper is still widely used by the pharmaceutical industry today.
2The tall aquatic sedge from which papyrus is obtained, native to central Africa and the Nile valley.
- Cyperus papyrus, family Cyperaceae
- Set the lily at the bottom of the container; the papyrus and forget-me-not should be positioned on stacked bricks so that their crowns are two-to-four inches below the water's surface.
- We had beached along a spot in the Nile heavy with papyri, a small tributary.
- His first design was created in a low bowl with fatsia leaves, Scots pine, oak leaves, strelitzia leaves and papyrus, then three large alliums and Singapore orchids were placed with skeletonised tenax leaves and some moss.
Definition of papyrus in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan