- In the deformation, the parallelograms always remain parallelograms, because their opposite sides remain equal, but the angles change.
- Four congruent sides lie on two parallel lines, and pairs of these sides define parallelograms of equal area.
- His vertical stripes have been put onto a slant, and whittled down to slender triangles or widened into parallelograms or pyramids.
parallelogram of forces
- A parallelogram illustrating the theorem that if two forces acting at a point are represented in magnitude and direction by two sides of a parallelogram meeting at that point, their resultant is represented by the diagonal drawn from that point.Example sentences
- Parallelogram of Forces is the famous theorem that can be used to determine the resultant of two forces acting at a point.
- This caused a deflection, which if it be analyzed, both directions taken together would be found to be a parallelogram of forces.
Late 16th century: from French parallélogramme, via late Latin from Greek parallēlogrammon, from parallēlos 'alongside another' + grammē 'line'.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of parallelogram in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.