- Of or relating to genes that are descended from the same ancestral gene by gene duplication in the course of evolution, especially when present in different species that have diverged after the duplication.More example sentences
- According to the generally accepted view of gene duplication and evolution, the redundancy created by duplication allows paralogous gene copies to evolve new functions.
- Clustering of protein sets for each organism has led to the identification of paralogous genes for each species.
- Following a duplication event, the two paralogous genes may evolve under different selective constraints and thus may show different patterns of molecular evolution.
More definitions of paralogousDefinition of paralogous in:
- The British & World English dictionary