Definition of paramilitary in English:
(Of an unofficial force) organized similarly to a military force: soldiers and police have been killed in conflicts with the drug cartels and their paramilitary allies
More example sentences
- And what sort of training does this paramilitary police force give such conscripts?
- Local police, paramilitary police and military units have now surrounded the building.
- The raids killed or captured paramilitary forces and captured a number of large arms and ammunition in caches.
noun (plural paramilitaries)Back to top
A member of an unofficial paramilitary organization.
- The struggle in Chocó is but one stage on which the guerrillas and right-wing paramilitaries are fighting their war.
- The right-wing paramilitaries also gain much of their revenue from the drug trade.
- British troops report civilians are telling them where the paramilitaries hide.
Words that rhyme with paramilitarymilitary
Definition of paramilitary in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India