- 1A light umbrella used to give shade from the sun.More example sentences
- As for the sun, I had a parasol; it shaded my skin from the light.
- Using the umbrellas as parasols on a warm summer day, we walked up the shrine approach.
- One team produces a garden parasol to offer shade.
- 2 (also parasol mushroom) A widely distributed large mushroom with a broad, scaly, grayish-brown cap and a tall, slender stalk, growing typically in grassy places.
More example sentences
- Genus Lepiota, family Lepiotaceae, class Hymenomycetes: numerous species, especially the edible L. procera
- The day of the election I picked and ate a delicious parasol mushroom - three months early.
- Some small species of parasol mushroom are reputedly harmful, so it is best not to gather any which measure less than 8 cm across the cap unless they have been positively identified.
- Scotland produces all sorts of edible wild mushrooms - parasols, horse mushrooms, field mushrooms and wood blewits to name but a few - but you must be sure of what they are before eating them or you could end up in hospital or worse.
early 17th century: from French, from Italian parasole, from para- 'protecting against' + sole 'sun' (from Latin sol).
More definitions of parasolDefinition of parasol in:
- The British & World English dictionary