noun (plural parastichies)Botany
- (In phyllotaxis) an oblique row of leaves arranged in a secondary spiral. Contrasted with orthostichy.More example sentences
- There was a negative correlation between phyllotaxy and leaf primordium diameter: species with greater numbers of orthostichies or parastichies had smaller leaf primordia.
- Curved lines show parastichies between stamens and last-formed tepals.
- Pistillate flowers, sterile male flowers, atypical bisexual flowers and staminate flowers are inserted on the same contact parastichies.
late 19th century: from para-1 'adjacent' + Greek stikhos 'row, rank'.
More definitions of parastichyDefinition of parastichy in:
- The British & World English dictionary