- A medicine consisting of opium flavored with camphor, aniseed, and benzoic acid, formerly used to treat diarrhea and coughing in children.More example sentences
- Medications used in this approach include paregoric, tincture of opium, phenobarbital, benzodiazepines, and chlorpromazine.
- Calomel, which was used in conjunction with paregoric to treat diarrhea, later was found to be a deadly mercury poison that actually made the diarrhea worse.
- Do not use teething lotions, powders, whiskey, or paregoric (because it has opium in it).
late 17th century: via late Latin from Greek parēgorikos 'soothing', from the verb parēgorein, literally 'speak in the assembly', hence 'soothe, console'.
More definitions of paregoricDefinition of paregoric in:
- The British & World English dictionary