Definition of parish in English:
1(In the Christian Church) a small administrative district typically having its own church and a priest or pastor: [as modifier]: a parish church
More example sentences
- Many of these lay candidates are already deeply involved in church ministry: in parishes, on diocesan staffs, as chaplains on campuses, in hospitals, and in jails.
- We should pray for renewal explicitly, as individuals, small Christian communities, parishes, and dioceses.
- In the mainline churches, certain parishes have refused pastoral care to victims and their families.
1.1US (In Louisiana) a territorial division corresponding to a county in other states.
- Alford provided a listing of floristic surveys for counties in Mississippi and parishes in Louisiana.
- There are nearly 4,500 registered sex offenders living in the 14 Louisiana parishes hit by Katrina.
- But you have to understand, inside the parishes of Louisiana, most of those city governments were victims.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.