Definition of parthenocarpy in English:
The development of a fruit without prior fertilization.
- This not only provides an effective solution to the ovary abortion, but also provides an experimental system for studying fruit development, in particular, the mechanism of chemical-induced parthenocarpy.
- I turned to the contribution from Koltunow, Vivian-Smith, Tucker and Paech on apomixis and parthenocarpy with a sense of anticipation, this being a former interest with which I had rather lost touch.
- Fertile plants produce >90% viable pollen and produce normal seed-bearing pods with no evidence of parthenocarpy.
- Example sentences
- The total number of pistils, parthenocarpic and seed containing siliques, and the mean number of seeds per silique were recorded.
- When MdPI expression is removed flowers lack both petals and stamens and parthenocarpic fruits develop.
- Sterile plants produce microspores aborted in tetrads, no visible pollen shed, and parthenocarpic pods bearing no seeds.
Definition of parthenocarpy in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan